BASKING RIDGE, N.J., May 14, 2012
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., May 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Mylan Specialty L.P., the fully integrated specialty pharmaceutical business of Mylan Inc. (NASDAQ: MYL), is commemorating Food Allergy Awareness Week by supporting key allergy community initiatives that will raise awareness of life-threatening food allergies. Food Allergy Awareness Week (May 13-19) is recognized in May, which is during National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month, and provides an opportunity to highlight this growing public health issue. Today, one out of 12 children in the U.S. has a food allergy, a considerable increase from previously reported figures.(1)
While many allergy triggers like pollen or ragweed affect people seasonally, other triggers such as food and latex pose a risk year-round and can cause reactions that range from mild to potentially life-threatening.(2,3) Anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction, can occur quickly, without warning, and must be treated immediately with epinephrine. (3,4)
"Life-threatening allergies are an important and growing public health issue, and we are proud to stand with advocacy partners to shine a spotlight on the need for awareness and preparedness during Food Allergy Awareness Week," said Heather Bresch, CEO of Mylan Inc. "We are especially pleased by the increasing efforts at the federal and state level to encourage schools to develop and implement plans that help protect students with life-threatening allergies, including having immediate access to epinephrine. We remain committed to helping improve awareness, preparedness and access to resources that support children and others at risk for anaphylaxis."
As part of ongoing efforts that support people at risk for life-threatening allergies, Mylan Specialty is taking part in a range of advocacy activities throughout May including:
- The Allergy and Asthma Networks/Mothers of Asthmatics' (AANMA) 15th Annual Allergy & Asthma Day Capitol Hill event, May 9 and 10, which helped educate Congress and the public about the impact of allergies and asthma on Americans.
- The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) 20th Anniversary Celebration, May 16, which recognizes the organization's commitment to representing the needs of people with food allergies. In addition to this important milestone, Mylan Specialty is proud to be the national presenting sponsor of FAAN's annual Walk for Food Allergy events for the 6th consecutive year. The Walk for Food Allergy events take place in 45 cities nationwide and bring together families and caring individuals who are dedicated to raising funds for food allergy awareness, advocacy, education and research programs.
"We share the advocacy community's passion for supporting people at risk for life-threatening allergies, and take great pride in aiding their efforts not only during this important month but throughout the year," said John Thievon, President of Mylan Specialty. "The more voices raised collectively, the more educated and prepared people will be to help themselves or someone they know at risk for anaphylaxis."
Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening allergic reaction that can occur when the body is exposed to an allergen.(4) Symptoms may include hives or redness of the skin, breathing problems, nausea, dizziness, and/or a decrease in blood pressure.(4) Anaphylaxis symptoms may progress rapidly and become life-threatening, requiring prompt recognition and treatment initiation.(2,4) Food Allergy guidelines developed by National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), a division of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), recommend epinephrine as the only first-line treatment for anaphylaxis management and that it be available at all times to those at risk for anaphylaxis.(2)
About Mylan Specialty
Mylan Specialty, a subsidiary of Mylan Inc. (Nasdaq: MYL), is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on the development, manufacturing and marketing of prescription drug products for the treatment of respiratory diseases, severe allergic reactions and psychiatric disorders. The company puts patients first and facilitates efficient, cost-effective partnerships with customers. For more information, please visit www.mylanspecialty.com.
Mylan is a global pharmaceutical company committed to setting new standards in health care. Working together around the world to provide 7 billion people access to high quality medicine, we innovate to satisfy unmet needs; make reliability and service a habit, do what's right, not what's easy and impact the future through passionate global leadership. We offer a growing portfolio of more than 1,100 generic pharmaceuticals and several brand medications. In addition, we offer a wide range of antiretroviral therapies, upon which approximately one-third of HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries depend. We also operate one of the largest active pharmaceutical ingredient manufacturers and currently market products in approximately 150 countries and territories. Our workforce of more than 18,000 people is dedicated to improving the customer experience and increasing pharmaceutical access to consumers around the world. But don't take our word for it. See for yourself. See inside. mylan.com
(1) Gupta R, Springston E, et al. The prevalence, severity, and distribution of childhood food allergy in the United States." Pediatrics. 2011; 128:e9-17.
(2) Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, Burks AW, et al. Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Food Allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;126(6):S1-S58.
(3) Simons FER. Anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;125(suppl2):S161-S181.
(4) Sampson HA, Munoz-Furlong A, Campbell RL, et al. Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis: summary report—Second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network symposium. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;117(2):391-397.
SOURCE Mylan Specialty L.P.