HERTFORDSHIRE, England and PITTSBURGH, May 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Mylan N.V. (NASDAQ, TASE: MYL) today joins the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office on Women's Health in recognizing the 18th annual National Women's Health Week. This year's goal is to empower women to make their health a priority and take steps to help improve their health.
Mylan CEO Heather Bresch commented, "As a global healthcare and leading generics company, Mylan is focused on creating better health for a better world by making healthcare accessible to everyone. Bringing attention to women's health is vital, given that diseases affect women very differently than men. For example, heart disease is the leading cause of death among women, yet it is difficult for women to self-diagnose because symptoms may include those that aren't as life-threatening as those traditionally seen in men.
"This National Women's Health Week we want women to know that we are committed to providing access to high quality medicines that address a range of health concerns highly prevalent among women, from cancer and hypothyroidism to cardiovascular disease and diabetes. We strive to continue to arm women with the information they need to make informed healthcare decisions and take control of their own health, while also bringing light to how healthcare can be optimized and customized for women."
National Women's Health Week kicked off on Mother's Day, May 14, and is celebrated through May 20, 2017. HHS offers the following steps for women to improve their health:
- Visit a doctor or nurse for a well-woman visit (checkup) and preventive screenings,
- get active,
- eat healthy,
- pay attention to mental health, including getting enough sleep and managing stress, and
- avoid unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking.
Mylan has one of the industry's broadest and most diverse portfolios that includes generic, brand-name and consumer healthcare products that span virtually every key therapeutic area. The breadth of our portfolio enables us to help address the unique health needs American women face. For instance,
- An estimated 44 million women are affected by cardiovascular diseases.1
- One in three women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.2
- More than 13 million women, or about one in 10 women aged 20 and older, have diabetes.3
- One in eight women will develop a thyroid disorder during their lifetime.4
For each of these diseases and others, Mylan is a leader in making sure women have access to the medicine they need to make their health a priority.
Visit mylan.com to learn more about how Mylan is a champion for women's health.
Check out https://www.womenshealth.gov/nwhw for resources about National Women's Health Week and use #NWHW to spread the word on social media.
- American Heart Association. "Heart Disease Statistics at a Glance." https://www.goredforwomen.org/about-heart-disease/facts_about_heart_disease_in_women-sub-category/statistics-at-a-glance/.
- American Cancer Society. "Who gets cancer? https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/after-diagnosis/who-gets-cancer.html
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. "Diabetes." https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/diabetes.html
- American Thyroid Association. "General Information." http://www.thyroid.org/media-main/about-hypothyroidism/5/
Mylan is a global pharmaceutical company committed to setting new standards in healthcare. Working together around the world to provide 7 billion people access to high quality medicine, we innovate to satisfy unmet needs; make reliability and service excellence a habit; do what's right, not what's easy; and impact the future through passionate global leadership. We market a growing portfolio of approximately 7,500 products around the world, including antiretroviral therapies on which approximately 50% of people being treated for HIV/AIDS in the developing world depend. We market our products in more than 165 countries and territories. We are one of the world's largest producers of active pharmaceutical ingredients. Every member of our more than 35,000-strong workforce is dedicated to creating better health for a better world, one person at a time. Learn more at mylan.com.
SOURCE Mylan N.V.